Historic Blacktown Bush Fire Brigades

Blacktown City has a long history of Volunteer Bush Fire Brigades. This page of Plumpton Rural Fire Brigades website will pay homage to that history by providing a short history of those brigades as information on the brigades becomes available. We acknowledge the work these brigades and the members (volunteers) of those brigades did and in many cases still do for their communities.
 
Note: During the mid - late 1990's many Bush Fire Brigades became Rural Fire Brigades.
Blacktown District Brigade
Mentioned in Blacktown Council records during 1942. During the 1970's the District Brigade was located in Pringle Street, Mount Druitt, also located at this location was the original Blacktown Fire Control Centre and Fire Control Officer residence (today, the Pringle Street site is the location of the Mount Druitt SES unit). In the early years the brigade was operated from the New Tribes Mission (when responding to calls fire fighters wore black fire fighting helmets).

The district brigade was also located next to the silos near the intersection of Richmond Road and Rooty Hill Road, where the pigeons are reported to have been quite a problem. At one stage the district brigade’s tanker was an ex lend lease 1943 6X6 Studebaker.

In 1980 the District Brigade amalgamated with Mount Druitt Bush Fire Brigade to form the Headquarters Bush Fire Brigade and moved to the new station located in Florence Street, Oakhurst.
Doonside Bushfire Brigade
The original fire shed was located in the lane next to Alby Francis’ Doonside Hardware shop (which is still located in Doonside), with a car park located behind the old fire shed.

The fire station built by Blacktown council in 1968 was located in Graham Street, Doonside. Upon the official opening; the Brigade received one of the first R series Bedford fire tankers in early 1969. During the 1960’s /early 1970’s it is reported the brigade had an all-male members policy, however many women often turned out on the tanker and were always allowed to get as dirty and smelly as the men.


The Doonside Brigade celebrated it’s 50
th Anniversary in 1999.

The brigade is no longer operational closing in 2001-2002 with many members transferring to other brigades in the Blacktown District and still very active in either fire fighting or support roles. The Doonside community is still very supportive of the Rural Fire Service.

Today the old Doonside Bushfire Brigade station is still in use, giving young members of the community a place to learn.


(Information supplied by Bobbie C)
Eastern Creek Brigade
Formerly known as the Rooty Hill Bush Fire Brigade.
Eastern Creek Rural Fire Brigade is still operational today.
Headquarters Brigade
Formed in 1980 when the District Brigade and Mount Druitt Bush Fire Brigade amalgamated and moved to the new station located in Florence Street, Oakhurst. In 1988 the brigade became known as Plumpton Bush Fire Brigade.
Marayong /
Quakers Hill Bush Fire Brigade
Stella & Keith Street are credited with starting the brigade around 1967/68 at their house in Cobham Street, Kings Park. Brigade meetings were held in their kitchen. Brigade training was conducted on Sundays.

The brigade then moved to the end of The Crescent and Quakers Rd, Marayong (near the original Marayong House). Along with a new shed / station came a Bedford Fire truck.

The brigade's first fire truck was an ex-army two seater Ford Biltz or Chevy, it had one water pump (which was very difficult to start). The fire fighting PPE/uniform was white overalls, a hard hat and rubber ankle boots.             

Some of the early members were John Elton (who became the brigade captain at one point during the operational life of the brigade), Paul White and Raymond Brissett.                               

The brigade is no longer operational. (Information supplied by Raymond Brissett)

Marsden Park Bush Fire Brigade
Mentioned in Blacktown Council records in March 1942 as being in the Riverstone Bush Fire Brigade area. Marsden Park Bush Fire Brigade was formed after a public meeting of local residents in July 1944. The Brigade was officially approved by Blacktown Council in November 1944. Meetings were held at the home of Mr. Klincke on Richmond Rd. The first Brigade shed was built on this property in September 1945, with a lease signed 6th February 1946. Here the brigade's meager equipment was housed, rakes, knapsacks, hession bags etc. A local farmer allowed the use of his truck to fight fires. The brigades first Captain was Mr. J. Abell. In October 1945, the Education Department allowed the meetings to be held at the Marsden Park public school. The school was also used for socials and dances, for fund raising. In 1952 the shed was moved to Overmyer's Corner Store (now a Service Station), until 1959 when the Education Department approved the lease of a portion of land at the Marsden Park School to house the fire brigade. The shed was completed on that ground in September 1959. The first brigade meeting held in that shed was on 12th January 1960. The old Marsden Park Fire shed served the Brigade well until March 2000, when work on the current station was commenced. The current station was officially opened on 27th July 2002 by Mr. John Aquilina, member for Riverstone.

Marsden Park Rural Fire Brigade is still operational today.
(Some information courtesy of Marsden Park RFB website).
Mount Druitt Bush Fire Brigade
Amalgamated with the Blacktown Bush Fire Brigade in the mid to late 1970's. Became known as the District Brigade during the 1970's located in Pringle Street, Mount Druitt. Today, the site is the location of the Mount Druitt SES unit. In 1980 became the Headquarters Brigade located in Florence Street, Oakhurst.
Plumpton Bush Fire Brigade
Formed when the District Brigade amalgamated with Mount Druitt Bushfire Brigade and moved from Pringle Street Mount Druitt, to Florence Street Oakhurst in 1980 to form the Headquarters Brigade. In 1988 the Headquarters Brigade unofficially became known as Plumpton Bushfire Brigade.

Plumpton Rural Fire Brigade is still operational today.
Riverstone Bush Fire Brigade
Mentioned in council records in March 1942
Rooty Hill Bush Fire Brigade
Still operational, now known as the Eastern Creek Rural Fire Brigade.
Schofields Bush Fire Brigade
Formed in 1944. Schofields Bush Fire Brigade is still operational today.
Shanes Park Bush Fire Brigade
Shanes Park Rural Fire Brigade is still operational today.
Vineyard Bush Fire Brigade
Mentioned in Blacktown Council records during 1941.